Chicaoji is a medium-heat sauce made with organic, Kosher, GMO-free, gluten free ingredients with no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
The ingredients (in descending order by weight):
- Apple cider vinegar
- Goji berries
- Agave nectar (maple syrup version coming soon.)
- Celtic Sea Salt
- Cacao nibs
That’s it: No other ingredients!
No, Chicaoji is certified shelf stable before and after opening.
I invented the name using the main ingredients:
- CHIpotle chiles (smoked jalapeños)
- caCAO nibs
- goJI berries
Pronounced “chee – KOW – jee” (or some variation of that).
Chicaoji’s unique combination of ﬂavors touches the entire palate.
- The complex sweet and tart of the goji berries balances with the rich chocolate-ty bitterness of the cacao.
- Agave nectar’s sweetness balances apple cider vinegar’s tartness.
- The complex ﬂavor of Celtic Sea Salt weaves all the ﬂavors together.
- The smoky chipotles provide a “medium” heat level of spiciness, accenting rather than dominating the complex flavor.
Ingredients are organic, vegan, gluten free, GMO free. The ingredients are certified kosher but Chicaoji, as a finished product, is not certified kosher….yet.
Follow links below to each ingredient’s dedicated web page for more info and supplier links.
- Goji berries are little red fruits used for many centuries in Chinese medicine, very high in vitamins and antioxidants with a sweet, tart, and slightly bitter flavor; a “Superfood” commonly used in health beverages, trail mixes, and really yummy chocolates.
- Cacao Nibs is the seed used to make all chocolates. Raw cacao has a very complex, somewhat bitter flavor and smooth texture. Cacao is naturally higher in antioxidants than most foods.
- Chipotle Chiles are smoked jalapeños used for their deliciously complex flavor and spicy heat. The smoking process enhances and preserves flavors lost in dried chilies. The heat level is “medium” accenting rather than dominating the flavor. Many who “don’t like spicy” foods like Chicaoji. Chipotles are the only ingredient not technically “raw” (i.e. heated over 118˚F/48˚C) as they are smoked at about 165˚F/74˚C.
- Apple Cider Vinegar with the “Mother of Vinegar”. The “Mother” refers to the naturally occurring microorganisms that transform the sugars of the apple fruit into vinegar. The benefit of this living nourishment is the main reason Chicaoji is raw. Some people use raw apple cider vinegar every day for their health.
- Agave Nectar provides natural sweetness with a low glycemic index; made from the juice of the agave plant
- Celtic Sea Salt® is whole salt from a pristine coastal region of France containing a natural balance of minerals and trace elements that help create electrolytes. It is hand harvested and dried by the wind and sun. Celtic Sea Salt is recommended by health professionals and culinary chefs.
- Water comes from deep beneath the ground on Lopez Island, WA.
Why these ingredients?
I believe food is medicine. I selected Chicaoji’s ingredients because of their flavor, nutrition and reputation for being beneficial to health. Let me be clear, I do not make any health claims for Chicaoji. The food itself makes all necessary claims by being what it is.
Our food choices affect our health. I selected excellent ingredients for Chicaoji.
I chose all organically produced ingredients for their quality and sustainability. Organic food production is important to us as individuals and as a society. Supporting sustainable and organic food production gives each of us a powerful vote for sustainable and organic farming. Our choices make a difference. How we spend our money may be the most powerful vote we possess in this society.
Lopez Island, Washington.
See Story of Chicaoji.
Shake it well!!!
Cacao is lighter than vinegar and it floats to the top of the bottle….so shake it very well before pouring!!