Lopez Island Chicken Wings
- Chicken wings – First and second sections only – the drumette and flat wingette. Cut off the wing tips and use them for bait in your crab traps.
- Preheat a grill to a relatively low heat. I put all six burners on my natural gas grill to the lowest setting.
- Place the wing sections on the grill and cook over direct heat for approximately 7 – 8 minutes. Turn the sections over and allow to grill for another 7 – 8 minutes on the other side. Wings should have crispy skin at this point, and some grill marks. There should be visible signs that cooking is complete, such as small amounts of clear juices bubbling under the skin.
- Remove the wing sections from the grill and place in a large bowl. Put a few tablespoons of Chicaoji sauce for each pound of wings into the bowl and toss with a spatula to make sure all the wings are coated with the Chicaoji. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the wings to rest and steam in their juices for about 10 minutes and for the Chicaoji to adhere to the chicken skin.
- Serve with crunchy vegetable sticks such as celery, carrot, jicama, or cucumber, and a creamy dipping sauce such as blue cheese or ranch dressing.