Chicaoji is a “superfood” hot sauce
Based on the flavors of
Goji berries and Cacao with smoky Chipotles.
Ingredients are organic, vegan, gluten & GMO free, and (mostly) raw.
- Goji Berries
- Raw Cacao
- Chipotle Chiles
- Raw Agave Nectar
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- Celtic Sea Salt
What’s it taste like?
Chicaoji’s unique combination of ﬂavors registers all over the palate. The rich bitterness of the cacao balances with the complex sweet and tart of the goji berries. Agave nectar’s sweetness balances apple cider vinegar’s tartness. The complex ﬂavor of Celtic Sea Salt weaves all the ﬂavors together. The smoky chipotles provide a “medium” heat level. I intend the spiciness to accent rather than dominate the other ingredient flavors.
What’s in it?
Ingredients are organic, vegan, kosher, gluten free, GMO free, and raw (except for the smoked chipotles).
- RAW Goji berries are little red fruits used for many centuries in Chinese medicine, very high in vitamins and antioxidants with a sweet, tart, and slightly bitter flavor; a “Superfood” commonly used in health beverages, trail mixes, and really yummy chocolates.
- RAW Cacao is the seed that is used to make all chocolates. Raw cacao has a very complex, somewhat bitter, flavor and smooth texture. Cacao is naturally higher in antioxidants than most foods.
- Chipotles are smoked jalapeños used for their deliciously complex flavor and spicy heat. The smoking process enhances and preserves flavors lost in dried chilies. I call Chicaoji’s heat level Medium. It complements rather than dominates Chicaoji’s flavor. Many who “don’t like spicy” foods like Chicaoji. Chipotles are the only ingredient not technically “raw” (i.e. heated over 118˚F/48˚C) as they are smoked at about 165˚F/74˚C.
- RAW Apple Cider Vinegar with the “Mother of Vinegar”. The “Mother” refers to the naturally occurring microorganisms that transform the sugars of the apple fruit into vinegar. The benefit of this living nourishment is the main reason Chicaoji is raw. Some people use raw apple cider vinegar every day for their health.
- RAW Agave Nectar provides natural sweetness with a low glycemic index; made from the juice of the agave plant
- Celtic Sea Salt™ is whole salt from a pristine coastal region of France containing a natural balance of minerals and trace elements that help create electrolytes. It is hand harvested and dried by the wind and sun. Celtic Sea Salt is recommended by health professionals and culinary chefs.
- Water comes from deep beneath the ground on Lopez Island, WA.
How hot is it?
Medium. Some people drink it out of the bottle and others just do a dab.
Why these ingredients?
I believe food is medicine. I selected Chicaoji’s ingredients because they are recognized as (possibly) having health beneﬁts in addition to their nutrition and most excellent ﬂavor. Our food choices inﬂuence our well-being.
By the way, I do not make any health claims for Chicaoji. The food itself makes all necessary claims by being what it is.
I chose all organically produced ingredients for their quality and sustainability. Organic food production is important to us as individuals and as a society. Supporting sustainable and organic food production gives each of us a powerful vote for sustainable and organic farming. Our choices make a difference. How we spend our money may be the most powerful vote we possess in this society.
Where’s it from?
I developed the recipe with the help of friends and neighbors at the Vortex Juice Bar and Cafe on Lopez Island, WA. I continue to make it in small batches at Chicaoji Central here on Lopez Island. I did not start out to make a hot sauce. I started with the flavor of goji and cacao together. This delightful flavor asked for a chilies so I tried out 7 kinds and settled on chipotles which add a complexity to the flavor as well as spicy heat. See Story of Chicaoji.
What’s up with that name?
The name “Chicaoji” may be unfamiliar to you because I made it up. I had to come up with some kind of a name. I thought of quite a few. Finally, I sat down and separated the words chipotle, cacao and goji into bits and fiddled around with them.
I came up with a new name for a new thing:
CHIpotle, caCAO, and goJI= CHICAOJI
Say “chee – KOW – jee”
Refrigeration not required!
Chicaoji is certified shelf stable before and after opening. Keep Chicaoji on the table or in the cupboard. It’s ok to refrigerate Chicaoji, it just isn’t necessary.
You gotta shake Chicaoji before pouring.
Cacao is naturally almost half cacao butter and it ﬂoats to the top of the bottle! Sometimes this floating cacao plugs the top of the narrow necked bottles. Although this is slightly inconvenient, most folks figure out how to get the Chicaoji out of the bottle.